Confidentiality of Student Records
In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), the College is restricted as to the release of certain educational records information without the written consent of the student. All student records are maintained in the Registrar's Office. The College can, however, release directory information which includes the student's name, address, college email address, major/minor, degrees, diplomas, certificates and date of award, honors and awards, and weight, height, and related information of athletic team members. Students must notify the Registrar in writing that he or she does not want any or all of the information designated as directory information disclosed.
The College is authorized by FERPA to release personally identifiable information without the student's written consent to:
- College officials and staff, to include instructors, within the institution who have a legitimate educational interest
- The Comptroller General of the United States
- Attorney General of the United States (for law enforcement purposes)
- Secretary of Education
- State and Local Educational Authorities
These parties may only receive access to education records if it is in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal or State supported education programs, or the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements which relate to those programs. In compliance with the Solomon amendment, the College is also required to provide directory information to the Department of Defense.
Student Access to Educational Records
In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, students have the following rights:
- Inspect and review their education records.
- Seek to amend their education records.
- Have some control over the disclosure of information from their education records (Buckley Amendment).
- File a complaint for an alleged violation of FERPA rights.
View the FERPA Brochure - Find out more about FERPA compliance at the official FERPA website.
College procedures and forms may be obtained from the Registrar's Office, 100-H Building, Room 100.