- The General Assembly established the LIFE Scholarship Enhancement in order to increase the number of students in the State majoring in mathematics and science and to increase the access to higher education, improve the employability of South Carolina's students so as to attract business to the State, provide incentives for students to be better prepared for college, and to encourage students to graduate from college on time.
- Students majoring in an eligible math or science program may receive up to an additional $2,500 towards their cost of attendance (in addition to the $5,000 based LIFE Scholarship award) starting with their second year/sophomore year of college enrollment at an eligible public or independent four-year institution in South Carolina (based on initial date of college enrollment).
- Meet all of the eligibility requirements at the end of each academic year to receive a LIFE Scholarship and be a recipient of LIFE Scholarship at the time of LIFE Scholarship Enhancement disbursement.
- Be enrolled as a full-time, degree seeking student in a declared major of science or math in an eligible program that is approved by the Commission on Higher Education at the time of disbursement of LIFE Enhancement funds.
Be enrolled at an eligible public or independent four-year institution located in South Carolina.
Be in the second, third, or fourth year of full-time enrollment (based on initial date of college enrollment after high school graduation) at an eligible four-year institution.
- Earn a total of at least fourteen credit hours in math and life and physical science courses with a minimum of six hours in math and a minimum of six hours in life and physical science including one laboratory course by the end of the student's first year of enrollment in college.
- Information concerning eligible degree programs and courses to meet the minimum fourteen credit hour course level requirement can be found on the SC Commission on Higher Education's website at www.che.sc.gov.