(left to right) FDTC students, Ella Graham, Shanaya Gamble, Ashley Swiney and Maria Sierra Rico pose with early donations.
The Early Childhood and Human Services departments at Florence-Darlington Technical College are teaming up to help foster children in the Pee Dee stay warm all winter long.
All through November, the two departments will be collecting clothing to donate to the Foster Care Clothing Closet in Florence.
“Our student group of SCECA is excited to join forces with the Human Services Student Organization and collect donations for the Foster Care Clothing Closet in Florence,” said Elizabeth Crow, FDTC Early Childhood Instructor. “In recent months, the non-profit agency has processed a record number of distributions to foster children in the surrounding area. Unfortunately, the children often have nothing more than the clothes on their backs when they enter foster care. Through this project, we hope to help meet the needs of the foster community by providing clothing and other supplies that are critically needed at this time.”
FDTC Psychology/Human Services Instructor, Brantlee Haire said, “The Foster Care Clothing Closet serves nine counties. Contributing to this non-profit organization is a small way that we can give back to the communities in which we live.”
Drop-off locations include offices 917 (Elizabeth Crow) and 5216A (Brantlee Haire). The deadline to contribute to the effort is Thursday, December 2.
The Foster Care Clothing Closet in Florence accepts:
- school supplies
- gently used toys and books
- clothing, pajamas and shoes (all sizes)
- duffle bags and small to medium sized suitcases
- baby supplies (including but not limited to diapers, pull ups, wipes, formula, car seats, strollers and pack-n-plays)
The following items are critically needed:
- high chairs
- tear free shampoo
- clothes and sleepers - size preemie
- car seats – infant, convertible and five-point harness toddler
- shoes - sizes 10 and 11
- pants and tops - sizes 12, 16, 18 and 20
- jeans - sizes 6, 7 and 20
- shirts - sizes 12, 16, 18 and 20
- sneakers - size 11
- jeans - sizes 18, 20, 22 and 24
- jeans - size 34 waist
- sneakers - sizes 8, 11 and 12
For more information, please contact: