Skip to main content

Veteran's Affairs FAQ

The FDTC Veterans Services Office is located on the third floor of the 5000 Building in Room 5318. Please email, call 1-843-661-8144, or stop by the office if you have any questions that are not answered in this FAQ.

Who is the School Certifying Official (SCO)?
Rudy Williamson and Genell Gause  - 1-843-661-8144- 

What benefits am I eligible for?
The Regional Veterans Affairs Office, not FDTC, determines eligibility for VA education benefits. The VA authorizes education benefits to students based on the information that students provide them. To compare all of the different benefits that are available, please use the VA Comparison Tool or call 1-888-442-4551 and press 0 to speak with a representative.

VA Shopping List: VA Shopping Data

How long does it take the Regional Veteran Affairs Office to approve my benefits?
Normally it takes 4-6 weeks, but it can take up to 8 weeks for the Regional Veterans Affairs Office to process your application.

I misplaced my Certificate of Eligibility, how do I get another copy?
Visit the following Ask VA (AVA) link: to request a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility.

I am a current student and I want to use my benefits this semester. What do I do?
Certification for VA benefits is not automatic. You must bring the Veterans Services Office at FDTC a copy of your schedule EVERY semester you wish to be certified for.

How do I set up direct deposit?
Call 1-877-838-2778 to begin and/or change direct deposit. Please have your account information handy.

How many semester credit hours do I need to be considered full-time?

It depends on the semester length of the class you are taking. For example, if you are in 6 credit hours for the 15WK semester classes you are 1/2 time. However, if you are in 6 credit hours for the 8WK semester classes, you would be full time. Please use the chart below to see if your credit hours make you full time.

 WeeksFull-Time3/4 Time1/2 TimeLess Than 1/2 Time
15 WK 12 or more credits 9-11 credits 6-8 credits 5 or less credits
12 WK 8 or more credits 6-7 credits 4-5 credits 3 or less credits
10 WK 7 or more credits 5-6 credits 4 credits 3 or less credits
8 WK 6 or more credits 4-5 credits 3 credits 2 or less credits
5 WK 4 or more credits 3 credits 2 credits 1 credit
4 WK 3 or more credits 2 credits n/a 1 credit
3 WK 2 or more credits n/a 1 credit n/a
2 WK 2 or more credits 1 credit n/a n/a

 *If you take a combination of terms, also known as a split schedule, please call the VA Hotline at 1-888-442-4551 and press 0 to speak with an education representative; they will assist you in determining your status. 

I am a CH 33 recipient using the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, why did I receive a letter from the VA stating that no tuition and fees were charged?
The Veterans Services Office at FDTC does not report tuition and fees to the Regional Veterans Affairs Office until after the add/drop period had passed. An amendment will be made to your certification at a later time, reporting tuition and fees. Students will receive an email confirmation and a new award letter from the Regional Veterans Affairs Office with payment information included.

How do I qualify for the housing allowance? (This question applies specifically to Chapter 33 recipients.)
Your rate of pursuit must be greater than 50%. VA calculates the rate of pursuit by dividing the number of credit hours being pursued by the number of credit hours considered to be full time by FDTC. For example, for a 15WK class at FDTC you must have 12 or more credit hours to be considered full time. If you were taking 6 credits during the 15WK semester, you would calculate your rate of pursuit thusly: 6/12 = 50%. Since this student's rate of pursuit is not greater than 50% they would not receive the housing allowance. However, if they were taking 7 credits (7/12 = 58%), they would receiving the housing allowance, since their rate of pursuit is greater than 50%.

Once the training time is determined, the monthly housing allowance is rounded and paid at the nearest 10% level. For example, if your training time is calculated to be 58%, you will be paid 60% of the applicable housing allowance. If your training time is calculated to be 84% you will be paid 80% of the applicable housing allowance.

Please keep in mind, active duty personnel receiving chapter 33 benefits or spouses of active duty personal receiving Transfer of Entitlements (ToE) benefits are not eligible for the housing allowance.

Do I get Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) if I am enrolled in all online classes?
Yes, but the amount will be calculated at 1/2 the national average BAH rate.

What happens if I fail a class? Will I owe the VA money?
If you fail a class, the grade you receive counts, negatively, towards graduation in your curriculum. Therefore, you are not required to repay any VA benefits you received for that class. You may retake the class to receive a passing grade that will count towards graduation and during that time you can receive VA benefits.

What happens if I add, drop, or withdraw from a class?
All adds, drops, and withdrawals MUST be reported to the VA Office at FDTC IMMEDIATELY after the change is made in order to receive benefits correctly.

You may owe money to FDTC or the Regional Veteran Affairs Office, depending on when you add/drop/withdraw from a class. The student will be responsible for reimbursing the VA if an overpayment situation occurs. Please call 1-888-442-4551 for further clarification. If you require assistance with a debt letter please contact the VA Debt Managment Center at 1-800-827-0648 or

Does FDTC offer the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) Testing?
No. Please contact Mike Pruitt at 1-803-751-6522 ext. 233 to schedule an appointment. 

Full User Details