Skip to main content

General Refund Policy for Veterans, Reservists, Active Duty, & Dependents

Advance payment of fees and other charges by eligible persons under Title 38 U. S. Code who fail to enter, withdraw, or who are discontinued prior to completion of the course, will be refunded in an amount which does not vary more than 10% from the exact pro-rata portion of such fees and other charges that the length of the completed portion of the course bears to its total length. The exact pro-rata will be determined by the ratio of number of days of instruction completed by the veteran to the total number of instructional days in the period for which advance payments have been made. See Attendance Policy. 

What happens if I fail a class? Will I owe the VA money?
If you fail a class, the grade you receive counts, negatively, towards graduation in your curriculum. Therefore, you are not required to repay any VA benefits you received for that class. You may retake the class to receive a passing grade that will count towards graduation and during that time you can receive VA benefits.

What happens if I add, drop, or withdraw from a class?
All adds, drops, and withdrawals MUST be reported to the VA Office at FDTC IMMEDIATELY after the change is made in order to receive benefits correctly.

You may owe money to FDTC or the Regional Veteran Affairs Office, depending on when you add/drop/withdraw from a class. The student will be responsible for reimbursing the VA if an overpayment situation occurs. Please call 1-888-442-4551 and press 0 to speak with a representative for further clarification. If you require assistance with a debt letter please contact the VA Debt Managment Center at 1-800-827-0648 or

Please contact FDTC's Busniess Office at or 1-843-661-8310 for questions concerning owing money after dropping a class. 

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) Return of Funds Policy

U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) Military Tuition Assistance (TA) funds are earned on a prorated basis during an enrollment period up to the 60% point for the course.  The TA regulation states that a student must attend through at least the 60% point of the course in order to earn 100% of their TA funds for the period for which the funds were provided.  All unearned TA funds will be returned by the College to the Military Service branch based on when a student stops attending prior to the 60% point for the course.

Please click this link to download a form detailing the percentage of return from the start of the semester up to the 60% of course completion for each type of semesters lengths.

Note: Students will need to check with their Branch of Service to verify specific Terms and Conditions pertaining to their Tuition Assistance funds.

Full User Details